National Junior Honor Society
Information about the National Junior Honor Society at Franklin Middle School
NJHS at Franklin
The National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is the nation’s premier organization to recognize outstanding middle-level students. NJHS was established in 1929, and it serves to recognize students who have demonstrated excellence in scholarship, leadership, service, character, and citizenship.
Becoming a member of The National Junior Honor Society is a privilege; it is not a club or honor roll of students. Eligible students will be contacted after the completion of the 3rd quarter of their 7th grade year.
National Junior Honor Society students are expected to be outstanding ambassadors for our school. Each member is required to fulfill meaningful service and act as a leader in their community. These students are also introduced to leadership and service opportunities which will contribute to their long-term academic goals and to the community as a whole.
7th GRADE INDUCTION
INDUCTION REQUIREMENTS - 2022/2023 school year:
- GPA REQUIREMENT: 7th-grade students who achieve a cumulative GPA of a 3.75 by the end of third quarter will qualify for membership. The cumulative 3.75 GPA must be maintained through the 8th-grade year in order to participate in the final pinning ceremony in May/June of their 8th grade year.
- Students must demonstrate behavioral standards consistent with NJHS pillars.
- Qualifying students must complete an application and sign a contract committing themselves to be active members and follow all guidelines.
- A payment of $5 to cover NJHS membership dues, pins, and other costs is suggested.
Eligible students will be contacted after the conclusion of the 3rd quarter. Information regarding the membership application process will be shared in Franklin Weekly Updates as well as via Schoology updates.
8th GRADE PINNING
- 8th-grade members must maintain a 3.75 cumulative GPA
- Members are expected to demonstrate behavior in line with the Pillars of NJHS, including character and citizenship
- Members of National Junior Honor Society students are required to demonstrate their commitment to service and community citizenship. Members will need to complete 2 hours of service each grading quarter and complete the reflection form posted in the NJHS Schoology group to document their time.
- Students may participate in service opportunities in their community (scouts, community event, food bank/soup kitchen, elementary school events)
- Students may also join the NJHS Service Committee which will sponsor multiple service projects at Franklin during the course of the school year
- Students may participate in a Franklin NJHS sponsored service project
Please note that this is separate and unique from the Civics Service learning project.
8th GRADE CEREMONY
At the conclusion of their 8th grade year, members will be invited to celebrate their achievements with the family members and receive their NJHS service pin.
Students who have a cumulative grade point average of 3.75 (on a 4.0 scale) meet the scholarship requirement for membership. These students are then eligible for consideration on the basis of service, leadership, character, and citizenship.
This quality is defined through the voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation and with a positive, courteous and enthusiastic spirit.
Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem-solvers, promoters of school activities, idea-contributors, dependable, and persons who exemplify a growth mindset. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activities while working with or for others.
A student of good character upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability and shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others.
The student of good citizenship understands the importance of civic involvement. They have high regard for freedom, justice, and respect for democracy.
When can I start service hours?
Students may start service hours at the beginning of the school year following their induction ceremony. Please note that service hours are divided by grading quarter. Service hours completed during the summer may count towards hours for the 1st quarter.
What is my GPA requirement to be invited to become a member and to be pinned at the end of my 8th grade year?
Your requirement is to maintain a cumulative GPA of a 3.75 (on a 4.0 scale).
Can I still apply to join my high school National Honor Society (NHS) even if I elected not to join NJHS at Franklin?
Yes. NJHS standing has no impact on a student’s ability to apply for National Honor Society in high school. Students who are eligible in high school will be invited to join their school chapter of NHS. Please discuss requirements with the high school NHS advisor.
If I moved to the Franklin MS area, can I transfer my membership from my old school?
Yes. Students who have been admitted into the NJHS at their previous school and transfer to Franklin are eligible to be members of the Franklin chapter. These students will be required to provide proof of their induction and will need to fulfill Franklin’s chapter requirements during their 8th grade year. Please contact either of the NJHS sponsors with proof of your induction.
Can I join NJHS in 8th grade, after the initial invitations?
No. Membership in NJHS is only considered at the end of the 3rd quarter of the 7th-grade year. After that, new members will not be considered UNLESS entering Franklin from another school in which the student was already a member. Proof of that membership will be required. Usually, a copy of the induction certificate will be sufficient.
- History & Social Studies Teacher, MS