Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
Franklin Families and Students,
Good Afternoon! We hope that all of the dads in our community had an enjoyable Father's Day this weekend.
As we transition to our summer operations, we wanted to share a few important Save the Dates with all of you. For the next few months, we will stay connected with you via the school website and special issues of this newsletter.
- Rising 7th Grade Parent Virtual Coffee - We will have an opportunity to come together virtually on Wednesday, July 28 at 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM. The FMS leadership team will provide updated information about the start of the school year and will be available to answer your questions.
- Jumpstart 2021 - More information is available below about this exciting opportunity for students who will be new to our school in the Fall. It will take place on August 5, 6 & 9 and we are asking all students to register by July 9.
- Student and Family Welcome and Orientation - Our school community will come together on Wednesday, August 18 to collectively welcome back the school year. This will be a time for students to tour the school, walk their schedule, and to reconnect with old and new friends.
Best wishes for a safe, relaxing and enjoyable summer. We are grateful for all of your support this year.
We will see you in August!
PrincipalFranklin MS Jumpstart 2021
Your student's transition to middle school is very important to us! This year we will be offering an OPTIONAL Jump Start program to our new students:
- Rising 7th graders
- Rising 8th graders who were fully virtual during the 2020-2021 school year
- Rising 8th graders who are NEW to Franklin
On selected dates in August, students will have an opportunity to meet some staff members (administrators, counselors, and some teachers), tour the building, get some middle school tips for success, hear about our after-school program, and more. Space is limited to 150 students per session, so please commit to being available before registering. If we have low enrollment in any one session, we may condense sessions to maximize our staffing. Updates will be communicated in advance. Please click here for the registration link. If registering multiple children, a separate registration form must be completed for each student.
Registration Deadline: In order to be efficient in our staffing and assignments, we are requesting that all applications be returned by Friday, July 9; however, if space is still available, we will accept registrations after that date. Students will be placed and accepted on a rolling admission basis. Please contact Courtney Mollé for further information.Summer Office Hours and New Student Registration
The Franklin Middle School main office will be open this summer from 9:00 AM –1:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Summer office hours will begin on June 21. The office will be closed on Friday, June 18 and Monday, July 5. Please contact Jade Horne with any questions. For new student registration, please complete this form.COVID-19 Vaccine - How to Schedule Your Child’s Second Dose
FCPS’ in-school COVID-19 vaccination sites were a great success! With the school year ending, FCPS will not be hosting vaccine clinics for the second dose. If your child received their first dose, please remember to schedule their second dose. This Second Dose Information Sheet explains how to proceed. FCPS is considering hosting another first dose clinic during the summer for students ages 12 and up. Please stay tuned for more information.Immunization Update
While the COVID-19 vaccination is NOT required by schools for the 2021-22 school year, many other vaccinations are.
Seventh-grade students need:
- One dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis) given at age 7 or older
- One dose of Meningococcal Vaccine (MenACWY, Menactra, or Menveo) given at age 10 or older
Twelfth-grade students need:
- One dose of Meningococcal Vaccine (MenACWY, Menactra, or Menveo) given at age 16 or older
FCPS has compiled a list of programs conveniently on one webpage.Schoology Update
Fairfax County Public Schools’ contract with Blackboard ends on June 30. The new learning management system is Schoology (pronounced /SKOO-luh-jee/). Schoology is a learning space that enhances communication, collaboration, and personalized learning for students, teachers, and families. Schoology will be used division-wide starting in July.
Schoology was chosen to:
- Support and implement instructional practices aligned to our learning model
- Help students reach the Portrait of a Graduate goals
- Provide all students with equitable access to meaningful learning experiences
- Offer anytime access to their virtual learning space
Students will have a Schoology account by June 18.
- Students use their FCPS student ID and password to login to Schoology
- Students will not see any classes until the grading period starts
As a parent or guardian, you will be able to use Schoology to view:
- your child’s class
- your child’s assignments and participation
- your child’s calendar
- teacher comments, scores, and feedback
Parent accounts will be available in mid-August. To access Schoology, parents will need to have an active SIS/ParentVUE account.
FCPS is providing all students access to no-cost meals from June 28 - August 5 at meal kit sites and on bus routes. More info at: https://bit.ly/35ync0g.Quick Links