Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
Franklin Families and Students,
Good afternoon! We hope that you had a great week. There has been a lot of information shared by our division and our school recently and I wanted to acknowledge that it can be a lot to keep track of! We are here to help you and your family as we continue to navigate this unchartered school year together. Feel free to reach out to us at any time if you have a question, no matter the size. Our main office number is (703) 904-5100 and my email address can be found below.
I wanted to take this opportunity to ask for your help. As we prepare for our many end of the year activities that rely on technology, we need to make sure that all of our FCPSOn student laptops are updated and ready to go. All students will receive directions for completing the “Technology Health Check-Ups” during Falcon time next week. If virtual students have difficulty completing the health check up on their own, they are welcome to come to an optional session on Monday, April 26 from 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM that will be supported by our Technology Team. There is no need to make an appointment and if you are able to visit the school so your student’s laptop can receive these critical updates, we would be very grateful.
Even though there is much to still accomplish this year, as we look to the future, we are excited that our students will return to Franklin MS five days a week next Fall. We will continue to practice the mitigation strategies and remain safe for all students and staff. If you would like a tour of our school or to discuss what this will look like next Fall, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will coordinate a visit to the building.
Best wishes for a relaxing and enjoyable weekend. Thank you for all of your support.
PrincipalMonth of the Military Child - “Purple Up!” on April 21
April is the Month of the Military Child, a time to recognize and thank children from military families for their contributions and sacrifices. To show our support, we are inviting all Fairfax County students, families, school employees, and community members to "Purple Up!" on April 21 for military children. Please click here for more information.Last Chance to Order a Franklin MS Yearbook
Franklin MS 2021 yearbooks are on sale through April 19, 2021. The cost of the yearbook is $25. Families may order online by clicking here. Our school order number is 5330. Please contact Kelly Barlow with any questions.Grading Update from FCPS
2020-21 End of Year Grading Flexibility for Middle School Students
During the current 2020-21 school year, Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) has adopted a grading policy change to provide flexibility for students in middle school to designate their current school year courses as “Pass” or “No Mark” status instead of a letter grade for their final mark.
As you review your middle school student’s third quarter report card, please consider the flexibility that will be applied to final marks:
- Students receiving a final mark of “D” or “D+” in any course will be automatically assigned a mark of “P” (pass) as the final mark at the end of the school year. ● Students receiving a final mark of “F” in any course will be automatically assigneda mark of “NM” (no mark) as the final mark at the end of the school year. ● Students may select a mark of “P” (pass) for any courses for which a passing grade is earned for the final mark. ○ Action Needed: Should you wish to designate one or more courses as Pass status for anticipated grades of “A” through “C-”, the Pass-No Mark Status Form linked here: https://www.fcps.edu/sites/default/files/media/forms/se358.pdf must be submitted to your school counselor/Student Services by May 10, 2021.
- Students and families are encouraged to carefully consider the option to request a Pass instead of a passing letter grade or final mark. Additional information including considerations and frequently asked questions are available at the following link: https://www.fcps.edu/academics/grading-and-reporting/secondary
An additional option is available for high school credit bearing classes taken in middle school. High school credit-bearing courses will be reflected on the middle and high school transcripts. In accordance with Virginia state regulations, FCPS Regulation 2408 permits parents of students who take a high school credit-bearing course in middle school to request that the grade be omitted from the student's high school transcript and the student not earn high school credit for the course. Parents must make this request no later than the end of the first nine weeks of the school year following completion of the course. The request to expunge as well as guidelines and the procedures for expunging grades for high school courses taken in middle school can be found at the following link: https://www.fcps.edu/sites/default/files/media/forms/is104.pdfFranklin MS School Counselors School Counselor Student Last Name Contact Email Tammi Bailey-Case A-G TLBaileycase@fcps.edu Kathy Hudson H-N KAHudson1@fcps.edu Joanne Fraundorfer O-Z JFraundorfer@fcps.edu
College Day on April 30
The Chantilly Pyramid will host its annual College Day on Friday, April 30. If your child has a favorite college shirt, please encourage them to wear it on this date. Our staff will be providing some interesting and fun information about colleges to our students throughout the week.Library Updates
If you are an in-person student, Mrs. Ruffle will deliver library books you place on hold to you in your classroom.
If you are learning from home, you can come to school to pick up books you place on hold during curbside library on Mondays from 12:00 PM to 3:30 PM or Wednesdays from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Please wait for an email from Mrs. Ruffle to tell you the books are ready for you.
Please email Mrs. Ruffle with questions, if you need help finding something you love to read, help with a project, or with ideas for the library.Franklin MS Virtual After-School Program
After school clubs and activities are open for enrollment at any time unless the programs are full.
- Check out our new activities that we recently added: American Sign Language, Fremont Debate Academy, Journalism Club and Scratch Programming.
- To sign up for these clubs or any other After School activities, students should visit their grade-level Google classroom where they can access the After School Google site.
- It’s not too late to take advantage of our free After School program!
If you have any questions about the After School Program, please feel free to contact Mrs. White.PTA Updates
PTA is looking for Board as well as committee positions for next school year. We will have openings for President, Treasurer, Secretary, as well as multiple other committee member positions. If you are interested and would like more information, please contact the PTA President at email@example.com.
Please join us for our next PTA Meeting on Tuesday, June 1 at 7:00 PM. A link for the meeting will be sent closer to the date.Quick Links